crazy colored glasses

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

If Han Solo was a Quarterback he'd be Joe Montana

While I was watching Sportscenter with the wife this weekend they played a story on Joe Montana's sons who are both playing QB for their high school team. One varsity and one junior varsity. It was a cool story about how they look up to their dad and how they listen to the advice he gives. What I found most interesting was that when they played pop warner football they played with their mother's maiden name on their jerseys as to stop the questions and scrutiny they would face.

While watching that segment it got me thinking as to just how good Joe Montana was. In my opinion he is the greatest quarterback in the history of the NFL. He did it all, he was accurate, he was mobile, he was smart, and he won... he was also supremely confident, some might even say cocky. Which led me to tell my wife "If Han Solo were a quarterback he'd be Joe Montana". That was one of the highest compliments I could pay him.

Han was great and he knew it. Always cool and confident under pressure. There was never a more collected big game qb. He never seemed flustered. We've all heard the famous story when the Niners were down in the Super Bowl to the Bengals with less than 2 minutes to play. The team is incredibly nervous, Joe steps into the huddle and says "Hey, Is that John Candy in the first row"... not what a nervous team was expecting, but that was Joe. He knew how to cut the tension. He then easily guided the Niners down the field for the winning touchdown pass to John Taylor.

Its easy to forget how great he was. To me, he will always be Joe Cool. The greatest quarterback who ever played the game... I do reserve the right to change my mind should Peyton win a few more Super Bowls.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home