crazy colored glasses

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

New Art Now

I'm placing these up a little out of order... I'll put up the piece I did last night then put up the piece I did last week.

I wanted to work on a piece that had a very graphic looking character. Something that had both really strong lights and darks. Or, I wanted to work on an independent character. That led me to do some research for a piece. I started out by looking for some Harley Quinn pieces. She's a strong graphic character who has been drawn a ton by one of my favorite artists... Terry Dodson. Dodson draws what I think is the best Harley. She looks strong, yet playful and confident. He also draws her like a woman, not as a cutesy little girl (how she's usually drawn). We all have to remember she was a psychiatrist at Arkham before she was the Joker's sidekick... she's not a kid. She may be playfull and cute, but she definitely is a woman. Dodson is one of the best artist at drawing woman today. Hence he landed the plum gig of relaunching Wonder Woman, DC's flagship woman.



The pencils on this piece took me a little under an hour. The inks took a little over an hour. I really enjoyed this piece. Haven't yet decided whether I want to sell it or keep it as a portfolio piece. I might also try to scan it and colorize it. Just as a little workout for myself. I enjoyed coloring the Flash redesign I did last weekend, so why not.

BTW... the independent character(s) I looked at were the Atomics. The brilliantly designed team by Mike Allred. He also truly is a great artist. One of my favorites in the field today. His book Madman has also been a very welcome surprise for me this summer. I've thoroughly enjoyed every page I've read of it. Its been my favorite read of the past 3 months. I think I'll give IT Girl and the crew a go next week.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home