crazy colored glasses

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Flash Redesign

I've always written about wanting to submit a piece for review to one of my favorite websites, ProjectRooftop. I've also always come up with excuses about how slow I am, or how I'm not good enough. Last week I read a post on their site about how they wanted to honor a true comic great (Mike Wieringo) who had recently passed away by reviewing and posting Flash, Kid Flash and Impulse pieces. Once I read that I decided that I had to submit a piece for them to review. Even if it didn't make the site, at least I honored Mike in my own way.

Mike Wieringo was a great comic artist. He had a minimalist, cartoony style. One that I've always loved but could never really mimic. He had great runs on Superman, Spider-Man, his creator owned project Tellos, and the Fantastic Four. For me though, he will always be the artist on the Flash. When I think about the Flash I imediately think of Ringo's work. His Flash was that good.



In redesigning Bart Allen, I didnt want to do an Impulse piece, because I felt like I truly couldn't match the costume that Mike initially designed. What I did was redesign Bart as Flash. As we all know Bart recently passed away as well, after a very short run as the Flash. I kept the primary Flash color scheme and lightning motif but just expanded it. I ran the lightning bolt down his right arm while also keeping a smaller bolt logo on his chest. I also extended the bolts which make the waistband on the traditional Flash costume and stretched them down to about mid-thigh. I then gave Bart a knee shield to protect against attack (ala Deathstroke in the Titans) and designed his shoes with reinforcements at the ankle while still keeping them lightweight and aerodynamic.

The piece was penciled and inked very quickly... then came the coloring. I spent hours in front of the computer coloring away. I'm such a slow and poor colorist, but I'm really happy with the way this piece turned out. Given more time I would have done a little more with photoshop to add some depth and shading. Digital colorist eternally have my respect... so much harder than I originally thought.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home