crazy colored glasses

Monday, November 12, 2007

Batman & Catwoman (girl... aka Carrie)

With the holidays coming, and in the middle of my best year of art (ever), I've decided art as gifts is a must. I love drawing, I love my family... why not merge the two.

For some people it's easier than others to draw pictures for. For example, the below is a gift for my brother (it kinda ruins the surprise, because he regularly reads the blog). Also for my other (the L.I. one) brother, I will draw a picture of his twin girls. Simple, easy. What do I draw for my little sister, what do I draw for my other sister... I have no idea. Maybe they get no art, I don't know.

Back to the art. I wanted to draw a Batman piece for my brother. I wanted to include a character that could be his daughter. After thinking of all the various females that have been involved with the Bat over the years, I thought Carrie from the The Dark Knight Returns and Dark Knight Strikes Again was the perfect choice. This also allowed me to draw in the Frank Miller style.

I've always thought Frank was a little overrated as a storyteller (too many similarities in Old Town, Sin City and East End, Gotham... also the battle in 300 and the alley were the East End girls make the stand... a little too similar). His art has also definitely taken a step back in years past. His strokes are thicker and bolder. In my eyes It looks like he draws straight with inks. If you look back at his pencils on his classic Daredevil run, then compare that to his Dark Knight Returns, then go even further and look at his Sin City and Dark Knight Strikes Again art, and you can see a definite difference. I'm not trying to knock him, I'm just trying to say the art is very different. Regardless, I was excited about drawing something in his style.


I found a piece by Frank that had Carrie sitting on the older Bruce's shoulder. I thought this was perfect. As I was pencilling this, I was breezing through it. I was at less than an hour when I got to the detail on Carrie's costume. I wanted the costume to look furry. Both around her ears and the spots of her costume. My hand hurt like hell as I was varying the strokes on the costume. As it was getting late, I put the piece down after I was done with the pencils.

I picked it back up later in the week and finished up the inking. The blacks on Batman were intense. The varying strokes on Carrie's costume looked even better in the inks than they did in pencil. After getting done inking I looked at the piece (and loved it) but thought to myself... "Damn, I wish I had drawn something where I could see the Bat symbol"

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home