crazy colored glasses

Monday, October 29, 2007

Catwoman... Meow


When my baby got her hair cut really short I decided I wanted to draw a character that had short hair. This led me to Catwoman. Of course this piece doesn't show off her short hair... trust me it's underneath there. I've never drawn Catwoman before. So this was a first for me.

Selina Kyle is another very complex female character (my favorite kind of comic character). Her comic is easily one of my favorite DC reads. She had been on the verge of me dropping her, but "One Year Later" happened. This character has been reinvigorated since OYL. Will Pfeiffer has written what I consider the best run ever with this character. The art of David Lopez captures the book perfectly as well. He has made great strides since he first started on the book. Having a daughter has changed Selina drastically. It even broke my heart in the last issue when Selina gave her daughter up for adoption because she knew she couldnt keep her safe with the life she led. Easily the most emotional DC comic of the year. One of my favorites. Her comic will definitely be near the top of my '07 Top 10 comic list.

In terms of art on Catwoman, I like different versions of her. I think Darwyn Cooke does a great animated style Catwoman. Jim Lee, Pete Woods, Ethan Van Skiver have all draw great Catwomans in her latest costume... my alltime fave is Adam Hughes who has done the last years worth of covers. He draws a great Selina Kyle. His Selina was my inspiration of this piece. The pencils on this piece were pretty quick. So much of the piece is about the blacks on the page. Once I finished the pencils I outlined the whole piece.

Once the piece was outlined I added the blacks in which took roughly... forever. It really did take forever, but I love the end result. I think its one of my strongest pieces. Learning from the Rogue piece I made the boobs a little smaller, or more natural looking, at least i think.



BTW... all these pics were taken by my wife... they are amazing, so is she

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home