crazy colored glasses

Thursday, October 18, 2007

The End of an Era

It is with sadness that I report that Joe Torre will not be back to coach the Yankees next year. I'm happy Torre rejected the feeble 1 year offer that was made. I'm sure he felt incredibly disrespected by the way the end of the season went. True the Yankees didn't advance against the Indians, but his track record should have allowed him to make a decision on his future. The fact that ownership was making daily comments to the press was a huge slap in the face.

He leaves a huge void that I hope doesn't go to Don Mattingly. As much as I love Mattingly I think he is the complete wrong choice for the job. In my eyes the only person I think is rightt is Joe Girardi. He has a track record (although very slight) with nurturing a young team. Which in essense is what will be inherited next year. Three/fifths of the rotation will be under 24. And there will be lots of home grown youth patrolling the rest of the field. I'd feel much better as a Yankee fan with a coach who has managed a young team before. Therefor in my eyes, the choice should be Girardi.

It's been a great run for Torre. I would say the best coaching job in the bigs during that time. Better than Cox, better than LaRussa. 4 World Series titles in 12 seasons. 11 AL East titles. Thank you Joe, it's been a great run... you'll be missed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home