crazy colored glasses

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Pride Of Baghdad

After what has seemed like an insurmountable task, I have finally caught up reading comic books. Last week after plowing through all the new books, I had no comics to read. So I went to the book shelf to pull out an old graphic novel to read on the train. In doing so I found the 2006 Graphic Novel of the Year Pride of Baghdad, and realized... I had never read it. I had an autographed copy sitting on my shelf (thank you BKV) that I had never opened and read. So I decided to pack it in my bag and give it a whirl.

All I can say is WOW. This truly was one of the greatest comic stories I have ever read. Beautifully written, beautifully illustrated by Niko Henrichon... all in all beautiful story. I was truly riveted by the tale of Zill, Safa, Noor and Ali. It read like a real world adult Lion King. While reading it I kept think ing what a great animated movie this would make. It has Disney written all over it, then I came to the ending... and decided Disney would never touch it. It has the type of serious and sad anti-hero ending that is prevalent in Asian cinema.

This really was easily the best comic story I've read in years. How BKV was inspired by the bombing of Baghdad and the story of these 4 lions walking the streets of Baghdad was nothing short of magical. The story was beautiful and brutal. It kept me rapidly turning pages to see what would happen next. For the first time in many years I was completely moved by a comic story I read.

Great work... I can't wait to put this back on the shelf in the upper pantheon of my graphic novel collection with V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Marvels and Kingdom Come.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home