crazy colored glasses

Monday, September 24, 2007

Bill Simmons pusses out

For years now, one of my favorite things to do was to go to ESPN.com and find Bill Simmons blog. I often found myself either quoting things from it, or telling my friends about some great thing I read there. Which was different for me, because he was a hugely vocal Boston fan. I never had a problem reading how much he supported his teams, because he would always give them crap when they took a mis-step... that has all changed now.

Anyone who has read his coverage of "Cameragate" knows how uneven it has been. I'm all for supporting ones team, but completely letting your team off the hook, while then pointing out every other teams transgressions is more than a little ridiculous. One of the very first things I wanted to read when I first heard about "Cameragate" was what Simmons had to say. Needless to say I was more than a little disappointed. Instead, I got a cream-puffy account of the actual details and then had to read about how all the teams in the league cheat and how the San Diego Chargers have been much more in the wrong. It all sounded like a lot of whining. If it had been discovered that Tony Dungy was filming defensive signals during the AFC Championship game last year I'm sure Bill's opinions would have been very different. He would have wanted the victory overturned, a public apology from Dungy and possibly even Dungy to step down. Giving Belichik and the Patriots organization a free pass was not what I expected by the normally fair Simmons.

On the subject of Simmons pussing out, it leads me to wonder where his baseball columns have been all summer... they've been non-existent. We've been treated to multiple blogs about the new look Celtics (which if Isiah Thomas or any other GM had traded away all their youth for 2 past their prime All-Stars and no bench, he would have lambasted them), giving the Patriots a free-pass, how wonderful Friday Night Lights is... but nothing on his Sox (who have been in first place since April 18). He did blog in early June about how he was worried about jinxing the Sox... are you kidding me. That's complete BS. If the roles had been reversed and it was the Sox trimming a 14.5 game lead to only 1.5 in the last week of the season, we would read about how resilient and plucky they were and how the Yanks have choked and haven't played to their potential the last month and a half. Yet, there has been nothing. He's more than a little worried (as he should be).

Where have you gone Bill Simmons... you used to be a very enjoyable read...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home