crazy colored glasses

Friday, September 14, 2007

Are you ready for some football...

OK, I know this post is like a week late, but I figured better late than never. We were on the road last weekend so I couldnt get in front of a computer and make my ridiculous (not so much) football predictions.

In April I wrote on my calendar that the New England Patriots would win the Super Bowl. After watching a bit of their first game, I still feel the same way. On paper they are as strong as they have ever been. Once the defense gets all it's key players back (Seymour and Harrison) there might not be any hope for the rest of the league. Coming into the season I also felt like the most dominant teams were in the AFC. Week 1 confirmed that.

Two teams from the AFC dismantled the NFC's final two from last season. The Colts routed the Saints 41-10 and the Chargers outlasted the Bears 14-3.In my opinion top 3 teams in the league, Patriots, Colts and Chargers are all from the AFC. I think Pittsburgh, Cincy and Denver will round out the playoffs in that conference, with the Patriots squeeking by the Chargers in a hotly contested championship game.

The NFC is whole different story. I think there will be lots of flipping around and jostling for position all year. All except with one team, The Chicago Bears. I still think they are the best team in the NFC. They still have a ridiculously dominant defense and a highly underrated offense (as long as Corky, excuse me, Rex stops throwing the ball to the other team). No team made themselves good enough to overtake them. I think the Cowboys will be a 10+ win team and win the East. Their defense will play much better when Terrence Newman and Greg Ellis return from injury. In my eyes, that is the one team in the NFC that can give the Bears a run for their money. Which would make Casa Vega a house divided, seeing as how my love is from right outside Chicago and loves her Bears (she rocks on Sweetness jersey for gamedays... she's hardcore). I still think thoe Cowboys and Bears will meet in the NFC title game, with the Bears taking a close one. Seattle, New Orleans, Carolina and Green Bay will be the other NFC playoff representatives. I also think the Lions and 49ers will be greatly improved. Not sure if they'll make the playoffs, but they'll be in the fight till the end.

Here are some of the other ridiculous and not so ridiculous preictions I've made over the summer regarding this football season (in no particular order): Marshawn Lynch will be offensive rookie of the year while racking up 1,300 yards and 10+ touchdowns, Tony Romo will throw for 4,000 yards and have over 30 TD's, Tom Brady will be the MVP, Wes Welker will have 90 catches, the breakout wide receiver will be Santonio Holmes (not Vincent Jackson like everyone is predicting), Vernon Davis will have 70+ receptions, LaMont Jordan will have a nice 1,000 yard bounce back season... i'm sure I made more crazy predictions, but I can't think of them right now.

Being on the road last weekend also meant missing two of the things which are synonymous with football for me my loves delicious wings, and tiny (i'll post his picture later... it's on the home compter). Luckily this weekend I will be able to plop myself on the couch and get my games on. God bless DirecTV's Sunday Ticket package.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I actually agree with most picks you've made, especially the major ones (I too was thinking Patriots over Bears in the Super Bowl, though obviously hoping for an upset).

    But don't pick on Rex too much. While it's true that the lad needs to learn how to read a blitz, his offensive line hasn't exactly been doing him any favors in these first two games.

    Did you see Tank Johnson might become a Cowboy? Have fun with that ...

    By Blogger D. Rock, at 8:29 AM  

  • yeah... while tank is a disruptive force on the field, the same can be said of him off the field. plus he still has to sit out 8 games, which he can't do while he's unsigned. even if they signed him, he'd have to sit out those 8 games so we are looking at the thanksgiving game before he could play. almost too late in the season to work into the rotation and make an impact. oh well... for now i'm enjoying the boys being 2-0... should be an interesting game this weekend.

    By Blogger LEV, at 9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home