crazy colored glasses

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween 2K7

So, I knew Halloween was going to be hard for me this year. Especially after I had so much fun last Halloween.

Growing up in a bad neighborhood in Brooklyn (the South Side of WillyB), I really never experienced Trick or Treating. I'm not complaining at all, but it's something we never really did. We would put on costumes and walk to Apt. 12 knock (in my case kick) Sara's door and she would give us candy or money. Then we would bundle up and go around the corner to our godmother's house Esther. I always had a blast doing this.

Last year, Halloween ended up being on a Tuesday night. Which meant I got to take Scrappy out Trick or Treating. My love and I ended up dressing up in cargo pants, gloves and black tops and being Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable... Scrappy was Ariel (in the costume my love brought for her). Walking up and down Bay Parkway and hitting all the stores that were giving candy as well as all the assorted houses and apartments that were also giving candy was truly one of the highlights of my life. I can scarcely remember having more fun. So much so that while smiling goofily I remember my love turning to me and saying "You look really happy, Have you never been Trick or Treating?"... after thinking for a bit I answered "No, not really". The fact that I was able to share this moment with both my (at the time) future wife and my daughter made it even more special.

This year though with Halloween falling on Wednesday I knew I was screwed. It just wasn't my night. So I figured I would work late while the wife works at the new gig and avoid all the Trick or Treaters or anyone in costume that might remind me of Scrappy. I didn't account for all the co-workers who would have their kids stop by the office... all stopping by my desk to say hi with their kids, all wondering and asking where my daughter was. I must've said "Not my night" a million times today. So while working late has helped me avoid the situation a bit, I still miss my little one. Who would have thought I would miss ringing someone's doorbell and hoping they would answer by giving you a fistfull of candy so much.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home