crazy colored glasses

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Yankee Thoughts

So after the first week of games there was an observation I made. This team as currently built reminds me a lot of the the 96 Yankees. Starting pitching getting to the 6th or 7th, young stud reliever in the 7th-8th, veteran closer finishing up the game. In the first week of the season 3 out of the 4 Yankee victories have fit that blueprint. Thats why although I was a huge fan of putting Joba Chamberlain in the rotation and ditching Mike Mussina I've changed my mind.

Mussina seems to have rebounded a bit from his August troubles of last year and seems to be an effective junk-baller. Joba on the other hand seems almost unhittable coming out of the pen. Opposing batters generally walk away from the plate back to the dugout shaking their head after Joba has baffled them with a dancing slider or left them breathless from a nearly 100mph fastball.

It all reminds me of the 96 Yankees with Rivera bridging the gap to Wetteland. The Yanks were able to ride them all the way to the title. I know it's too early to be making comparisons to that title winning team, but maybe it's time to see if these guys can do the same.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home