crazy colored glasses

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Choice for NCAA Player of the Year

In a season where the NCAA coverage has totally been dominated by freshmen (Kevin Love, Eric Gordon, O.J. Mayo and Kevin Beasley) I think the NCAA should make the right choice for Player of the Year. They should go with UNC Junior forward Tyler Hansbrough. He's not the best pro prospect (all the freshmen listed above should have a bigger impact on the next level), what he is simply put is the best player in college basketball.

When Ty Lawson was injured and the UNC season could have gone south, how did Tyler respond, he put the team on his back and averaged over 29 points per game. I also think Tyler should be rewarded for still being in the college game. With so many players being one and done (Oden, Durant to name a few) you have a player that could have been a lottery pick after his freshman season, who decided to stay in school and not only learn the game, but try and win a national title. While I dont think UNC will win the national title (I still think UCLA will be cutting down the nets come tourney time) I think Tyler should be rewarded for his season and career.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised to Tyler come back as a senior next year. He has a chance to become the all-time leading Tar Heel scorer. I think that and the fact that he so badly wants a national title will bring him back next year. If there is any justice in college basketball, Hansbrough's name will be called out as Player of the Year.

As a final note, I'm a self admitted Duke freak, but the play of this Tar Heel should be rewarded. He is completely tireless, selfless and easily the hardest worker on the floor. I have seen him dominate Duke since he was a freshman (ruining senior night for Redick and Shelden) and although I'm sure I've cursed his name, I fully respect him and what he brings to the wonderful game of college basketball.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Very big of a Duke fan. Kudos to you. Good luck with your team in the tourney. NIT for me.

    By Blogger Lester's Legends, at 7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home