crazy colored glasses

Monday, February 11, 2008

Green Arrow


Although technically not a member of the Justice League I felt it was necesarry to give this iconic character my treatment. Green Arrow is a figure that really has been brought to the forefront of the DC Universe ever since his rebirth a few years back at the hands of Kevin Smith and Phil Hester. That led to a run by the incomparable Brad Meltzer which was followed up by another strongly written turn by Judd Winick.

With all that said, the high point of this character to me is his involvement in Identity Crisis. He is clearly the moral compass for the DC Universe in that story. He doesn't have any super powers but he's still very different than Batman. Whereas Batman is very black and white, Green Arrow sees the very hard to find grey area. Identity Crisis brought that into focus even more.

Green Arrow has grown a ton since IC. He became mayor of Star City, stepped down as mayor but most importantly married Black Canary (or wait... did he). The Black Canary and Green Arrow comic currently out has some of the best art (by the great Cliff Chiang) on the market today. Which leads me perfectly into who the best Ollie artist of all time are... any list must start with the great Neal Adams (a god walking among mortals), Rags Morales, Phil Hester, Mike Grell and the aforementioned Cliff Chiang.

This piece was inspired by the great Jim Lee. This piece doesn't compare at all with the original inspiration. Jim's piece is a lot more complex than mine. This Green Arrow piece was pretty quick to put together. The pencils took around an hour. I was watching a college bball game while my wife worked and so I had some alone time to draw. After finishing the pencils I fell right asleep. The inks took me about an hour and a half to two hours. This piece has been done for about a week, but it's taking me a while to post. Hope you all enjoy.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Awesome job. I have the biggest three-year old Justice League fan at home. He can name EVERYBODY.

    By Blogger Lester's Legends, at 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home