crazy colored glasses

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Gift for Gumby

I try not to use anyone's real name on here, but I recently received an email from a friend who regularly reads the blog. In that email my buddy asked me for a picture. I'm usually pretty slow to respond to these sorts of requests, but because I currently had nothing in the qeue I was excited to get to work. After some back and forth we decided on a character... "I've always been a fan of Iron Man" he said. I imediately thought to myself that this could be a good chance to draw Iron Man before his movie hits this spring. So why not... I would start it up and see what happened.

My other dillema was trying to figure out what to call my buddy here on the blog. In thinking about what to call him I kept thinking about two names, it had to be either Single Digit or Gumby. Both are names I've used with him in the past. Both during what we called lunchtime basketball.

The first name comes from the very first time we played ball. For weeks my buddy would tease me about kicking my ass in basketball knowing that I wouldnt accept playing him because I wasn't dressed for it. Finally after not being able to take it anymore I decided to accept and finally play. What followed was a dominating performance by me where I schooled him 21-4. So was born the name Single Digit.

Gumby on the other hand comes from another lunchtime basketball outing. We had two guys with the same first name, so one of the other locals we picked up to play asked "what should i call you" (to my buddy) to differentiate between the two guys with the same name... "Gumby" I shout from under the basket. And so Gumby was born. He never really liked that name, but thats what made me stick with it. I knew it irked him, so it was the perfect name for me to use on the basketball court.


With all that said I was very excited to draw this piece for him. I had learned that Adi Granov had worked on the concept art for the new movie. He has also done great covers for the Iron Man series. He did have a failed run as the interior artist during the Marvel relaunch of the series where the Extremis was introduced. Not that the art was bad because it was amazing, but he was just too slow (a problem I'm sure would plague me). So I found a piece of his I used as inspiration.

The piece wasn't very complex, but it had little intricate details that took me quite a while. The pencils took about an hour and a half. The inks took a bit over 2 hours because of the level of intricacy. I had to break out the ruler to help with a lot of the lines. After it was inked I added some extra layers of grays to add depth and tone. It is a piece I'm quite happy with and one that I look forward to giving to Gumby.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home