crazy colored glasses

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Top 10 Movies of 2007



I love movies. In 07 we didnt see nearly as many years as in years past. With planning and general busyness, we just didnt get around to going to the movies that often. With all that said, here is my top 10 list of movies I saw in 2007 (TV, DVD or theatrical). (I know I thought I would have a piece of art done in time for my number one movie of the year, unfortunately there simply wasn't enough time to get it done before the end of the year... the above graphic will have to do... thanks work, for not being too busy today).

10. High School Musical 2
There was probably no film that was more anticipated for me than HSM2. Or I should rephrase that... there was no movie that Scrappy more eagerly anticipated. Which in turn meant that my love and I were being constantly bombarded with videos, pictures, websites... we couldnt turn around without another mention of HSM. Even with the constant bombardment, I must say it didn't disappoint.The songs were cheesy, the acting was Disney and the story was sacharine sweet, but after numerous watchings, and singing the songs constantly on HSM Sing it, I must say I did love it. The main reason I loved the film so much was that Ashley Tisdale (given a meatier role) really shone as the star seeking Sharpay.

9. Superman/Doomsday
The world of direct to DVD comic animation has grown tremendously over the past few years. With entries from Marvel (Avengers, Iron Man, Dr. Strange) and Dark Horse (2 Hellboy films) it was time for DC to jump in. They decided to do that with the Death of Superman story. This DVD came out mid-year, and like most DVD's I buy, it sat on the shelf up until last week when I took a day off because I wasn't feeling well. At first I was little turned off by the liberties they took with the stories, then upon completion, I realized that the changes made sense. The story was different and strong. The animation was also very strong (except for the extra lines they drew on the big man's face... weird cheekbones). The voices were also suprisingly well done. I was used to Tim Daly and Clancy Brown as Superman and Lex Luthor. Adam Baldwin and James Marsters (both of Joss Whedon fame) did a very nice job. All in all a very strong piece by DC, I can't wait till their next release DC The New Frontier.

8. DeathProof
While Grindhouse as a whole was enjoyable (but long), the draw for me was the Quentin Tarantino DeathProof. Quentin movies are few and far between, so when they are released, they need to be appreciated. The scenes in the diner and the bar with the girls chatting were classic Tarantino. Witty dialogue, great camera work... in a word, Tarantino. Kurt Russell as a psycho stuntman was brilliant casting. I couldn't remember another time Kurt had played a villain. He was quite good.

7. SuperBad
It was a great year for Judd Apatow. This was one of his two huge hits in the year. This was by far the superior of the two. While Knocked Up was enjoyable and did have its moments, it was a little too sitcom for me. Katharine Heigl was very lovely though. SuperBad on the other hand was raw, raunchy, and funny as hell. The dialogue was hilarious. The situations over the top. A great comedy, with underlying messages of growing up. Easily the funniest film I haave seen this decade.

6. The Bourne Ultimatum
The third installment to the action packed Bourne series. In a pretty rare occurence, each of these movies has expanded on ideas from the previous. The fights are stronger, and the actions scenes more intense. The car chase through Manhattan was mind-blowing. A smart, realistic action thriller. I'm not sure how much longer they can continue to go to the Jason Bourne well, but I've enjoyed all of these so far.

5. Juno
One of the two late entries on the list. This Jason Reitman written film was well acted by Ellen Page and Michael Cera with great supporting acting by Jason Bateman, Jennifer Garner and J. K Simmons. The small story of a 16 year old who got knocked up and decided to put her baby up for adoptio ninstead of aborting it. Elle Page as the title character Juno was simply great. Sarcastic and funny most of the time but loving and tender in others. She showed an acting range is this film that most adults couldnt match. She truly is a star of tomorrow. A highly enjoyable film.

4. Ratatouille
The best animated and family film of 2007. The genius' as Pixar continue to deliver some of the best films every year. I have yet to be disappointed in any Pixar film. This little story of a rat who tries to quench his thirst for creating fine cuisine by helping a newbie chef (Linguini) save his father's restaurant. Incredibly rendered wih great voice acting. This movie hit on every level. I loved the character Anton Ego and the little sense of realism (or as real as a movie with a cooking rat can get) at the very end of the film. The best animate film of 2007.

3. Hairspray
While on my honeymoon, my wife and I were searching for a movie to watch one night. We looked at the local listing and saw they had a theater on the island that was playing two movies, Hairspray and The Bourne Ultimatum. We decided to go with Hairspray as we both love musicals and felt that it would be more fun and a little lighter than a serious action film. And I must tell you it was the right decision. Nikki Blonsky was great and looked like she had so much fun making the film. John Travolta was also great as Tracy's mom. A fun performance in the most fun film of 2007. Zac Effron (from HSM fame) gave an inspired performance hamming it up for the cameras as Link Larson. As an aside, my love and I thought it was really interesting to see James Marsden taking a picture of the city block long billboard for the movie across the street from my love's old office building. It was kind of fun to watch a major actor stand on the sidewalk taking a picture of something he seemed to be excited about. I will always think favorably of this film, as I will always attach it to my honeymoon.

2. No Country For Old Men
Simply put, the best movie I saw in 2007. I expect this movie to have a Departed type feel come Oscar time. With Director, Actors and Film being awarded. A hard film that pulls no punches. Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin both deliver the performances of their lives in this adaptation of the Cormac McCarthy novel of the same name. The Coen brothers are on the top of their game as well. Scenes are well thought out and framed. A beautiful film to watch which is strange given how rough some of the scenes are. I expect this movie to clean up come Oscar time.

1. 300
As a self-professed comic geek my favorite film of 2007 was easy... it was 300. Who would have thought that the actor from Tomb Raider 2 and the Phanton of the Opera would make a believeable Leonidas. Gerard Butler was amazing. Zach Snyder did a great job translating Frank Miller's pages to the screen. It was a truly phenonmenal film. Among the best comic movies ever made. I very much look forward to Zach's take on The Watchmen (which I think is the greatest comic of all-time). This movie also proved that popcorn films based on comic books could be well done. In a summer that game us the awful Fantastic Four 2:Rise of the Silver Surfer (after 45 minutes into the movie, the only action is the scene with Johnny Storm and the Silver Surfer from the trailer... such a snoozefest) and Spider-Man 3 (great trailer, awful film... dark Peter dancing... c'mon), it was nice to see a comic movie done right. Well written and acted and very true to the original source material. This was hands down my favorit film of 2007

On the note of action films, over the last year and a half my love and I have made a conscious effort to not expose Scrappy to super-violent films or any films with onjectionable content. That means basically any and all action films or any film were people are being bitchy to one another. We watch them when she falls asleep. We even try to pre-watch movies that we think might have too much violence. I must say that I didn't think there was anything wrong with having Scrappy occasionally watch Star Wars or FF films, but I have seen the light. She is much better behaved, she has no nightmares and is in all facets a kid... a good kid. I'm very happy with the decisions we've made in raising her.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • I'm certainly with you on most of those ... Ratatouille was my favorite movie of 2007, and I'm also thinking that No Country for Old Men will be the big winner this year and deservedly so, since it's the best Coen brothers movie in many years

    By Blogger Reel Fanatic, at 6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home