crazy colored glasses

Monday, December 10, 2007

Power Girl

With all the craziness of last week (very busy days at work, which is where I do my blogging... shhhhhh), plus my birthday, I still found time to ink all the pictures I had drawn in the past few weeks. I just never got around to posting them.

Here is Power Girl in all her glory!



A few months back when I was drawing pics of members of the Superman family I wrongly omitted Power Girl. In Power Girl's (Kara Zor-L aka Karen Starr) convoluted history, she has been Kryptonian, Amazonian, Atlantean, Kandorian... and now finally the Kryptonian cousin of Kal-L, the original Superman from Earth-2 who met his end in Infinite Crisis. She is clearly one of the most powerful female characters in all of comics. She probably ranks right behind Wonder Woman and Supergirl.

She is a character that has grown from complete cheesecake distraction to unquestioned leader of the Justice Society. She also has one of the most controversial costumes (and chest sizes) in all of comics. Her well endowedness started out as a joke by artist Wally Wood (who became famous drawing Plastic Man). He knew the Power Girl title would be short lived, so he decided since she was supposed to be a more mature, adult Supergirl and because DC wanted to have her have a slightly larger chest then SG, he would make her rbeast larger with each issue. DC never objected and now the large breasts have become a calling card for the character. That and the window on her costume. I've always thought that part of the costume was cool because as she described it to Superman... "the first time I made this costume, I wanted to have a symbol, like you. I just… I couldn’t think of anything. I thought eventually, I’d figure it out. And close the hole. But I haven’t.". That statement above illustrates how vulnerable the character is, which makes her more emotional and therefore more human to the general reader.

This piece was inspired by the cover to Infinite Crisis #2 by the great Jim Lee. Among the other artists who have left a great mark on PG are Adam Hughes, Alex Ross, Dale Eaglesham and Bart Sears. The pencils took me a little less than an hour and the inks took me about the same. It wasn't a piece that contained a lot of blacks, so it was a pretty straight forward piece. With a piece like his the line work has to be really clean and strong. Not to toot my own horn, but I think this piece ahieves that.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home