crazy colored glasses

Monday, November 26, 2007

Indulging my Inner Rockstar

One of the biggest gaming revelations of the year for me has been the discovery of karaoke games for the PS2. All of these games are great.

Having a non-gamer and a 6 year old in the house, it's very rare to find games that we all can play and enjoy. Saturdays (or basically any days when we are all home together) have kind of unofficially turned into singing days. Here is a review of all of the games we have played recently and the stories behind them...


SingStar Pop
With my love and I being huge karaoke fans, and no plans to go singing anytime soon, I decided to bring karaoke home for my lady's birthday. That led me to buy SingStar Pop. It was an instant hit. Once we tore it open it provided hours and hours of entertainment. Chasing Cars, Invisible, and Hanging By A Moment were immediate favorites. We've played this game a ton since then. Scrappy finds a way to mumble through most of the songs, but still score relatively well. We played this game so much and it was such an instant hit that mere days later we bought...


SingStar Rocks
With plans now to incorporate SingStar into our wedding we decided we had to have a larger song library. We ran out to buy Rocks. With the package being slightly open we were able to get a 20% discount on the version with two microphones. Although we already had two, we wanted to have two more just in case any were broken during the wedding. We ran home the night we bought this game and tore it open. After having plenty of drinks (happy juice i believe) I remember claiming that I needed a microphone stand to be able to truly rock out. My baby hopped off the couch and broke out a light stand and taped the microphone to it... instant microphone stand... i love this woman. Again we had immediate favorites Keane's Everybodys Changing, Hole's Celebrity Skin and Coldplay's Speed of Sound to name a few. In fact, some of these songs are so good for us, that they have become our regular warm up songs.

With our love for these games growing at a high rate, my buddy at work (who I had been raving about these games too) decided to come by and hang out and sing a few songs. The surprise was that he didnt come empty handed, he brought with him this little gem.

Karaoke Revolution: American Idol
We all created ourselves (my guy was a bit overweight) and sang away for a few hours. The judges were a little rough, and with Scrappy not knowing any song besides Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway, she got bounced pretty quickly. The interface of this game was very different than the SingStar games so that was a bit of a change. With us loving the SingStar interface we were less than thrilled with the AI gameplay. The judges were ruthless but hilarious. It did lack the human seal that is PAula Abdul as her likeness was not included in the game. I remember earning a nearly perfect score on Always Something There to Remind Me which led to lots of trash talking. Since then Can't Help Falling in Love With You by the great Elvis as well as You and Me by Lifehouse have become my personal faves.

As I was looking for any and all information regarding SingStar it led me to the discovery that two more Singstar games were set to be released. They are vastly different but both very entertaining. In fact, I purchased both games on the same day.


SingStar 80's
As a self-professed hater of the 80's this was the SingStar game I was least looking forward to. This all changed when I saw the track list contained one of my favorite songs of all time Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time. I know thats a little cheesy, but I dig it. Even though I still don't love 80's music, I love this game. It's very enjoyable for me to sing songs that I dont know.


SingStar Amped
I think this was the disc we were both most excited to get. It had songs we both knew and love. In my camp, I was a big fan of Blink's I Miss You and the Foo's Best of You. The misses was a big fan of Creep and does a mean Come As You Are (although she doesn't really believe she sings it well). Although Scrappy isn't as big a fan of 80's and Amped, we love them. Which leads us into Scrappy's favorite game of all-time...


High School Musical: Sing It
I must admit to being a little excited when this game came out. I was able to pick it up almost a week early because I happened to be at the right place as they were opening boxes. As I surprised my love with it, we happily played the song for hours as we tried to unlock all the songs from HSM2. We have been singing for weeks now, continuing to unlock songs, all in pursuit of the holy grail that is Push It To The Limit by Corbin Bleu. This game while using an interface closer to AI has been a lot of fun for us to play. We enjoy it, and Scrappy knows most (if not all) of the songs. Its a win-win all around.

It really is incredibly fun to be able to sit down and enjoy all these games together. I must say, it's the best gaming experience of my life.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home