crazy colored glasses

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Final Piece of Holiday Art



So I had the great idea of giving art to certain family members and friends as Christmas gifts. I planned this long ago to give someone like myself (a slow artist) plenty of time to get it done. With all that said, there I was last night rushing to get this piece done (all while I had a little cold... thanks Scrappy) so that I could give it to my brother and his wife for Christmas.

I started the process a few weeks ago by drawing a picture of the twins as Danny and Sandy from their Grease themed bday party. It was a cool image that I had fully pencilled out and just needed to add in the details. While in the process of getting tht done my love found a pic of the twins from the wedding. That picture contained the twin calling card of one with hair down, and the other with her hair up... this picture would be better to give as a gift.

So I printed it and had it ready to roll. Then I waited and waited until I had to rush through it yesterday. Let me start out by saying that my style is more of a cartoony comic book style, I don't really do realism very well. Any piece of a real person I've ever done I've always found to be lacking. My art is very personal to me and I also don't take to criticism well. I can beat up my own pieces, but have a hard time with having others nitpick them.

I was relatively happy with the way the piece turned out. The twins are tough to capture because they are so fair skinned that any additional lines on their face to add detail almost look like wrinkles. What I did was vary pencil strokes to add depth in terms of differing grays for shadows and soft detail lines. I can only hope that my brother and his wife appreciate the piece and realize that it comes to them with much love.

I should have my last piece of 07 up next week when I select my top movies of the year (hint: the piece of art is from a 07 movie)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • i think it's tacky to comment on my own blog unless i'm answering another comment, but I had to comment on the wonderful email I received from my sister-in-law who loved the piece I made of the twins for her and my brother... "THANK YOU SO MUCH for the amazing picture of the girls! It was incredible…." were her exact words... I must say, it really did make my morning

    By Blogger LEV, at 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home