crazy colored glasses

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Rocket Crash!

I've pussy footed around this topic enough...

How do I feel about a pitcher who was an idol of mine growing up. Someone I named my Strat-O-Matic baseball teams (and later my fantasy teams) for. Someone whose intensity for the game I loved. Someone who made me forget what uniform he wore (that of the hated RedSox) and made me appreciate him for what I always called him "the greatest pitcher of our generation... if not all-time"

Today in court, Roger Clemens former trainer Brian McNamee turned over what he calls hard evidence. Syringes and gauze pads with traces of blood as well as vials with traces of steroids. I'll forgo commenting on what (besides a potential payday) would make someone save blood stained gauze pads and syringes. It's looking more and more like my favorite pitcher of all time Roger Clemens will go down as a cheat.

As much as I've said on this blog before that this era will go down in history as The Steroid Era I must express the deep disappointment I feel. I always thought Rogers late career resurgence had more to do with his insane workout habits. When others (usually RedSox and Mets fans) doubted him, I stood by him and talked about pitching styles and how Nolan Ryan and Satchel Paige pitched very effectively into their mid to late 40's. Is that all a sham now. Am I to believe that the focus and rage like intensity could potentially be roid rage?

As much as I'd like to reserve judgement it's becoming harder and harder to do so. I've complained in the past how Bill Simmons (one of my favorite sports bloggers) will avoid difficult subjects and write about fluff. I could no longer stand idly by without saying a word about one of my sports idols... so I'll simply say I'm saddened and disappointed... and holding out hope that maybe, just maybe Roger is telling the truth and he will be vindicated.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home