crazy colored glasses

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Best He Is At What He Does

It's been a slow art start to the year for me. So after I banged out the piece of Iron Man I was excited to draw some more. After thinking of characters I haven't drawn in a while I decided on arguably the most popular (and overused) character in comics today... Wolverine.

With monthly appearances in Wolverine, Wolverine Origins, X-Force, X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, and New Avengers, Wolvie is one of the most used characters in comics. What frustrates me most of all is how what happens in one series most of the time has nothing to do with what happens in another. Absolutely little to no continuity in Marvel today... that drives me crazy. All of which makes Wolverine one of the most frustrating characters in comics.

Even with all that said, I decided Wolverine was the perfect choice for me. Very few characters are as visually compelling as James Howlett (yup, thats his real name, not Logan as most people believe). Very few characters have also had as many of the best artists in the industry work on him. Some of my favorites include Marc Silvestri, Leinil Francis Yu, John Bryne, Simone Bianchi, John Romita Jr., and the incomparable Jim Lee. With so many of my favorite artists having worked on him, I thought it was time I re-took a shot (I say re-took because some of my favorite pieces of my youth are pieces I drew of Wolverine... maybe I'll post some up some day).


I started out by using a piece by Leinil Francis Yu and Todd McFarlane as my inspiration. The picture was a very intense full frame photo. Wolverine's claws were in the fore-ground with his face and body heavily shaded in the background. The claws ended up being much harder than i expected. It required a very long steady stroke that I really didn't accomplish. Its a little jagged but not too bad. The pencils took about an hour. It was surprisingly easier to pencil than I originally thought. The inks took quite a bit longer. The inks took me a bit over 2 hours. The inks ended up being much more intricate than I originally thought. After I was done with the inks I thought the claws looked a little flat so I went back in with my No. 3 (Hard) pencil and added some extra shading. I think this piece is an early favorite (very early) for best piece of the year.

After drawing two Marvel characters in a row I've decided to go back and try and draw a few DC characters this week.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home