crazy colored glasses

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Play Ball!


Last friday night, I arrived to pick Scrappy up from school a bit early. I figured I could hit the video game store and see if they had anything new. I was planning on buying MLB08: The Show, but that wasn't due out until 3/5/08. So I walked in, looked around and was going to turn around and head out when I decided what the hell, let me ask if she has the game in store yet.

"Excuse me, do you have the new 08 baseball games for the PS2" I say. The women behind the counter looks at me, shoos me to the end of the counter (away from all the kids playing online games on laptops in the front of the store) and cups her mouth and says "2K8 or the Show". I reply "The Show", not telling her that playing The Show last year was one of the best baseball video game experiences I ever had (probably only eclipsed by the old school Genesis RBI baseball). The game play and realism were awesome. The counter women kneels down behind the counter, fiddles around a little, and pops back up showing me the new game with the powerful Ryan Howard on the cover. I give her an agreeing nod and she then takes the game puts it in a black plastic bag and slides it on the counter to me. "How you pay" she says. I don't have any cash on me, so I pay with my debit card. "I have to charge you tax, because you no pay cash"... no problem, that works for me. So I was able to get the game almost a week early, but the whole experience was a bit bizarre.

Now of course, I simply can't put the game in and play like a normal person. Similar to last year I wanted to put together a team of backups. Without my Sports Illustrated baseball preview, I had to rely on the ESPN Depth Charts. There were some surprising names listed as backups (Jacoby Ellsbury, Nick Johnson, Gary Matthews Jr.), but I held steadfast to my rules. Only position players listed as backups, only number 5 starters (Mark Prior, Ian Kennedy, Nate Robertson), and only backend relievers (no closers or real setup men... hello Joba Chamberlain). I spent a few hours on the computer (yes I'm a freak) compiling a list of names before I actually built my team. Overall I'm pretty happy with the squad. A little worried about power coming from the lefthand side of the plate, but for Team Streaky, I'm sure we'll live.

Just like last year, I will provide updates as to what is going on with the squad (as if anyone will care besides me).

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home