crazy colored glasses

Monday, April 07, 2008

Comic Book Roundup 08

In 2008 I've been reading my comics pretty regularly. Been going to the store on a weekly basis which means I don't have 3-4 weeks of comics piling up. 4 books in particular stand out with all the things I've read...

Action Comics
Geoff Johns and Gary Frank have put together a great run. Superman hasn't been this good in years. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Geoff continues to be the best superhero writer in comics today. His stories contain hig-level summer blockbuster type action, and more drama than a daytime soap opera. Also, as good as the Legion relaunch has been (Waid's run followed by Bedard), the Legion has not been this good since their hey days of the 80's with Giffen and DeMateiss at the helm. Geoff has their voices down perfectly. I grew up with Superman (boy) with the Legion of Superheroes and this story is a perfect chapter in their tale. On the art hand, Gary Frank draws an amazing Superman. The last few years Superman fans have been blessed with great art (Jim Lee, Ivan Reis, Ed McGuinnes, Renao Guedes), Gary Frank takes it up a notch. The detail and depth of his pencils is the best in the business. He is one of the rare artists who has gotten better with age. In my eyes Action Comics is the 2008 comic of the year (so far).

Green Arrow/Black Canary
If Geoff Johns is the best superhero writer in comics, Judd Winick is a close second. If Bendis and Brubaker rule the roost over at Marvel, Johns and Winick are holding down the fort at DC. Judd really connects with Oliver Queen. Having written his stories for about 5 years now they still are amazingly fresh, thought provoking and emotional (all while containing break neck speed type action). Arrow as a solo book was great, and although I was a bit skeptical about adding Black Canary I've been nothing but thrilled whichi each issue of this series. From the shocking turn in the wedding issues, to the escape from Paradise Island, to the injury to Connor Hawke, each story arc has been bigger and better than the previous. I'm a bit interested to see where they go with this current story arc as I think street level crime is more Judd's scene, not so sure about the extraterrestials. I'm sure Judd will make it work. His partner on the book is Cliff Chiang. To my knowledge, I dont think Cliff has ever had a regular pencilling gig. His work here is amazing. Its a throwback to the Steve Rude, Mike Allred style of simple lines and realistic looking bodies. If I think Gary Frank is the artist of the year, Cliff Chiang isn't very far behind. I hope these guys can continue their amazing run over the next few months.

Trials of Shazam
Had this book come out monthly instead of bi-monthly it would have been on my Top 10 list of 2007. I read the finale of this book on Saturday written by Judd Winick and absolutely loved it. The DC Universe has been without Shazam for too long. This story perfectly reintroduced Shazam while having the reader go on a ride of personal growth with Freddy Freeman where we saw Captain Marvel Jr. (a character I've always liked) grow into the new Shazam. The art chores where split in two. Howard Porter started the book using a new painted style, but then jumped ship to Marvel. Mauro Casciolli finished up the second half of the 12 part story. I must say I think Mauro more realistic looking art blew away what I though were some strong Porter work. The second half of the arc took a decidedly darker tone and Mauro's work perfectly emphasized that. It was easily one of the stronger mini-series and character relaunches in years, and clearly my favorite Shazam project (except for Kingdom Come).

Secret Invasion
I've been very vocal in my dislike of Marvel and Brian Michael Bendis' Marvel mega-crossovers. I didn't like Secret War or House of M. I've always felt that Brian was better handling singular characters as his work on Ultimate Spider-Man and Daredevil was almost without comparison. I haven't even really loved his work on either Avengers title. I think his best work on that series has been the single issue of New Avengers where Luke and Jessica broke up and she moved into Avengers tower. That book was basically dialouge between two characters. More of which I felt is Bendis' calling card. So it was with hesitation that I picked up this book. I must say I really enjoyed this story. I think its a huge cop-out that Marvel is going to use this story to retcon every story thats ever been poorly received. I do think this story has the potential to be huge. Bendis and Yu (who hasnt been on his A-game on the Avengers... or with anything since his Superman mini-series) were both on the top of their game in this first issue. I'm eagerly anticipating the rest of this mini-series.

On the not-so-good side... I hated the Spider-Man Freak storyline. It seemed like a bad Carnage ripoff. Haven't liked the Wolverine Origins storyline with Deadpool. Its nothing more than a 4 issue fight which could have been told in one issue. Punisher War Journal has been a little flat after starting out very strong. I stopped buying the Incredible Hercules... he just wasn't a character I cared about taking over for the Hulk. Both Avengers titles have been stale, but I think they will pick up now with Secret Invasion underway. That's all for now... I'll continue to try and update whenever I think anything good is afloat.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home