crazy colored glasses

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Not So Super Tuesday... Green Lantern


Yesterdays installment of Tuesday night drawing had me wanting to draw other members of the Justice League or the entire new animated Legion of Superheroes (love that new show, wish they had made more episodes). I bounced the idea around of drawing the entire new Justice League as a team, but decided I wasn't ready for that. So I decided on two members of the new team. I would either draw Green Lantern or Black Canary (saving the other for next week).

Wanting to be able to get Scrappy to bed, help make dinner and actually try and watch the All-Star game (yay American League) had me thinking I'd be very pressed for time. Seeing as how men are always easier for me to draw then women, I decided to draw a simple Green Lantern piece. Scrappy had eaten dinner at her other house so I didn't have to worry about getting ready. I did have to make rice while I waited for my love to treat me with some steak (love steak, can never have enough of it).

So at about 7:30 I found myself sitting on the couch with Scrappy watching the Suite Life when I thought I could start to work on a piece. I broke out the newly sharpened pencils (thanks baby... for some reason it escapes me on how to properly sharpen a pencil) and got to work on Green Lantern. I hit a good stride when it was time for me to start the rice for dinner. Shortly after the rice I had to give Scrappy a bath and get her ready for bed. While she was in the bath I quickly finished the pencils. The pencils probably took me 20-25 minutes total. Everything flowed really well, although I had a pretty crappy day at work my evening was turning out ok.

Got Scrappy to bed and just as we were starting the story my love showed up and we were able to tuck her in together (I love when we get to do that together... it doesn't happen very often during the week, so its special when it does). As my love was starting up the steak I was able to start inking the piece. So I inked a little, sat down for dinner, ate, had some difficult conversation then sat down and finished inking.

I think the piece suffered a bit from the fragmented inking (the total inking time was probably 45 minutes). It's by no means an awful piece, I just wish it was better. I don't feel like I captured the perspective of the piece properly. The lower half seems so small while the upper half seems so large. I tried to save it a bit by adding in greys for the musculature. It could also be that I'll always lump this piece in with everything else that was going on, so I'll have a hard time looking at it objectively. Not an awful piece by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely not something that I truly love either. It was my first ever Green Lantern piece so it becomes my best Green Lantern by default. Maybe I'll try and redeem myself and draw something else this week.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home