crazy colored glasses

Monday, July 09, 2007

Family Cookies


One of my favorite things to do (or just watch) with my Love and Scrappy is making cookies. I was never involved in cooking growing up. So the fact that we make an effort to get Scrappy involved is really important to me. She gets a little annoying (which kid doesn't) because she wants to be involved in everything, but it's still fun. It's truly one of my favorite things to do.

I remember getting the note last year when Megan was in kindergarten asking to send cookies in for the bake sale. I was all set to just go to the store and buy a box of Entenman's cookies when my love suggested we actually bake them. I had no idea she baked. No girl I was ever around had ever baked, so this was completely foreign to me. I also obviously had no baking materials so I had to go out and buy everything. Mixing bowls, cookie sheets, wax paper, flour... everything. So we decided it would be a fun family project. The day came to bake the cookies and Meg fell asleep and I sat there amazed, but it was basically my love baking the cookies (she's always such a good sport)... and they were amazing. It quickly became one of those things we did on weekends. We baked (most of the time it was a pretty solo project with very little involvement from Scrappy or myself).

My love baked everything... strawberry cookies, chocolate chip, oreos, oatmeal scotchies, sugar cookies, gingerbread men, chocolate chips with nuts, chocolate cherry pistachi pinwheels, oatmeal toffee coconut... all were ridiculously delicious (all greatly photographed here http://happiestpuppies.blogspot.com/search/label/cookies).


I think I love cookies and the process because cookies to me feel like home. I've never been around anyone who loves making cookies so much. I'm sure it's not always the easiest thing to deal with... with me being a novice and scrappy being overly eager... but my love always finds a way to make these cookies spectacular. She has no idea the joy I get from not only eating these, but over the sheer fact that we've made them a family project.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • No, seriously, punching out only 5 cookies at a time is the pain. Even when Scrappy gets out of the way, the wax paper is sliding all over the place while everything else sticks to the rolling pin. Grr... We should just make them from scratch. And locate the better rolling pin.

    By Blogger Madeline, at 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home