crazy colored glasses

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Laugh It Up Fuzzball


For this Tuesdays drawing session I wanted to continue drawing the pieces I will be giving away to the people in the wedding. Last week, I posted the Captain America I will be giving my brother who is the officiant in the wedding. This week I wanted to draw something for my best man JP. In thinking about what piece I would do, I had it narrowed down to two genres. I knew I either wanted to draw a G.I. Joe piece or a Star Wars piece.

Although G.I. Joe is a great team story, they don't really have two guys who are best of friends. I thought about doing a Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes piece but changed my mind. Those two have been enemies nearly as many time as they have been friends. With that thinking, it helped me narrow it down to Star Wars.

I believe JP's favorite Star Wars character is Obi-Wan Kenobi. The two people Obi-Wan is closest to in the Star Wars movies either die (Qui-Gon) or fight him nearly to the death (Anakin). So I wrote him off as well. That led me to choose the ultimate team in Star Wars... Han and Chewie. Han did nothing without his trusty companion. They are nearly inseparable throughtout the original trilogy. They truly are each others right-hands. I thought it was perfect.

I had a hard time finding a piece to draw. I thought it would be simple to find a Han and Chewie piece. Not so much. I finally found this one in the new postage stamp series. I found it nearly impossible to recreate. There is such a difference from the a fully painted piece with all the different color tones and strokes to the a flat pencil and ink piece.

The pencils took quite a bit of time. Chewie is such a pain to draw. The inking was even harder. The subtle strokes to try and create the illusion of Chewies fur was also a daunting task. After inking the piece I went back in and added some grey details. This definitely helped enhance the fur on Chewie. This was a very different and difficult piece for me, but something I'm really proud of.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home