crazy colored glasses

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Let's Not Forget Magic

I've recently blogged about how I think Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward in the history of the NBA. That I would never argue with. While reading this week's SI the very first letter in the letters page stated that the 2nd best basketball player in the last 30 years is Tim Duncan... after only Michael Jordan. That had me screaming at the breakfast table. Rarely do I ever react at these letters, but I had to complain.

The shortsightedness of current NBA fans. The way they forget what is modern history. Bill Simmons had a great blog recently about Jonh Havlicek and where he stood among the alltime greats. How John was his idol and one of the greatest players of all time, yet when they have the best of lists no one ever mentions him. Thats the way I feel about Magic. He's been retired for almost 15 years now (besides 1 failed comeback) and how quickly these kids forget.

Magic was the consumate winner and teammate. He made every player he played with better. In my eyes he is the greatest basketball player of alltime. If I was picking an alltime basketball team, I would pick Magic over Jordan. Magic could play every position on the floor. He could take over a game at the point distributing the ball, and the next game he could jump ball and start the game and dominate it at center (as he did in the finals as a rookie). Magic won a national championship in college and 5 titles in the NBA (and 1 Olympic Gold medal).

Magic (with Larry Bird) is also widely regarded as saving the NBA. It was a sport that was fading. No live telecasts, everything on tape delay. Then Bird and Magic came into the NBA on oppostie coasts and reinvigorated a flailing sport. Without Bird and Magic, Jordan would never have been the media machine he turned out to be. They paved the way and set the stage for him.

Magic is my favorite basketball player of all time. I must say I was truly blessed to be able watch him both on TV and live at MSG. With all that said, I must caveat this all by saying that I am a lifelong Lakers fan, so me saying that I think Magic is the greatest alltime is no big revelation.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home