crazy colored glasses

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Super Stuff


One of the very first things my baby shot in the art room was my collection of Superman collectibles that sits in the display case in the living room. This isn't everything, I have a ton more Superman collectibles (mostly action figures) as well as 1,000's of comics. For the most part though this is the cream of the crop.

From left to right:
Golden Age Superman statue. This is a classic Clark to Superman statue I received as a birthday gift. The sculpt is very clean. It reminds me of the work of Curt Swan who drew a very clean barrel-chested Superman. I love everything about this statue. The colors of the piece are brilliant and vibrant.

JLA Superman Maquette. This statue was given to me by the old CSD of EG as a Christmas gift. He and I would often talk about comics, animation and everything pop culture. This piece is spot on perfect. Colors, pose and sculpt. There is nothing about this statue I would change. Even the size and weight of it are substantial. This statue perfectly captures the Bruce Timm animated style.

Red Son Superman action figure: Red Son Superman was one of the most inventive comics of the past 15 years. Wonderfully written by Mark Millar and beautifully draw by Dave Johnson. The pose, sculpt, and color of this figure capture Dave's artwork perfectly. The Soviet Union flag is a nice touch as well.

Randy Bowen Superman mini-statue: This Bowen statue is a recreation of the Superman statue that was on the shelf in Jerry Sienfelds apartment in his television series. My younger sister got it for me as a Christmas gift. I remember my oldest brother being slightly jealous. It's one of my favorite Superman pieces. Bowen is a great sculptor and it reminds me of John Brynes Superman mid 80's artwork. The color seems a little faded, but it is still such a strong piece. Love it.

Subway Kids Meal Superman: I rarely if ever venture into Subway, but when they Superman The Animated Series Kids Meal I ran to get my sub and toy. It has a little lever on the back, which when pressed it shoots up his arms in a flying motion. The colors are a little dark which didnt mesh well with the animated series style, but it was just a giveaway from a fast food restaurant. Still like the little cloth cape.

DC Direct Superman Action Figure: This is my favorite Superman action figure. Everything about this figure was perfect. Plus it had the added incentive of having a ton of articulation (which is a change for DC Direct). It truly is a beautiful figure. As much as I've loved the DC Direct Ed McGuiness style figures, this really is the cream of the crop. It puts all other Superman figures to shame. Color, cape length, articulation, and sculpt make this the perfect Superman figure.

Animated Series Superman Bank: I have 2 of these. They capture the style of the animated series beautifully. They also capture the power of the character as he breaks through the chains. The color on the bank is great. The face sculpt is awesome (one of my favorites). The power of the character really shines through. I dont know if he is filled with anything, but he is proudly on display in my living room.

Heroclix Superman (the little tiny guy in the front): I bought this on the corner of Broadway and Steinway on Christmas Eve 2005. I was out doing some last minute shopping when I ran across this guy selling Heroclix. Heroclix is a crazy little game with these figures and a click wheel system that decides damage. I've never played and wouldnt even fake to know how. Yet, I have a large collection of Heroclix figures. Generally everyone in the Superman family. This is the second version of Superman that posed him flying. The first had him breaking through chains. I liked this one better. I thought it was a much more intersting pose. The color is great, the only negative is that there is no articulation to this tiny piece and no detail on the face (what do you expect its like an inch and a half long).

Justice League Animated Series Justice Lords Superman: This Superman was part of a 3 pack my daughter gave me as a birthday gift. It was a cool set which also included Batman and Wonder Woman. That episode of Justice League was brilliant. One of the best ever episodes on that show. I love the different color scheme on the character. It lets you know right away that you are dealing with a darker more serious Superman. The sculpt is basically the same as any of the other animated Superman figures. Nice figure.

DC Direct Dark Knight Returns Superman Action Figure: When these figures were announced I was incredibly excited. When I finally got this figure, I was happy with it, but not ecstatic. I would have expected a grittier, darker Superman. While this piece was bulky in the Frank Miller style, it was lacking some of the grittiness of the original series. I like how large the figure is, and how well it fits in with the Batman piece of the same series.


The very best Superman collectible (in my eyes) is this DC Direct 13 inch figure. It is the deluxe version which included an outfit to change the figure into Clark Kent. It also includes a steel girder and a couple sets of hands to change into. There is even articulation to the S curl in his hair. Down for Supes, up for Clark. A brilliantly thought out and designed figure. My one complaint is I think the S shield is larger on the actual figure than it is on the prototype which was shot on the packaging. Truly one of the highlights of my collection.

Some of my other favorite figures which are not pictured are the Super Powers Superman and Clark Kent, Superman the animated Series Clark Kent quick change Superman, Michael Turner style Superman, Kingdom Come Superman, Ed McGuiness Superman and Earth 2 Superman, Ken as Superman in Superman Returns, and the Alex Ross Justice Superman.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home