crazy colored glasses

Friday, June 01, 2007

The Mighty Thor



I've been inspired to draw some of my favorite Marvel characters of all time recently. Why, I don't know. Marvel Comics for the most part have been a big stinking pile of poop (although I faithfully buy them) for a few years now. Anyway, I've always been a huge Thor fan. Love mythology, love the character, love the fact that he is a god hanging out with the mortals. Unfortunately he's been MIA in the comics for a few years now. We've been teased with returns in Fantastic Four and even Civil War, but it seems like he'll finally be returning in his own title written by JMS with art by the underrated Olivier Copiel.

Now his costume has been redesigned (not as drastically as when Walt Simonson took over) but it still contains a lot of the classic Kirby elements to it. Speaking of Kirby, as here ever been a better Thor artist. He defined the look of a generation, and every artist who has come after him just pales in comparison. With that said here are some of my other favorite Thos artists of all time: Walt Simonson, Bryan Hitch, and John Romita Jr. This new version seems to be a younger Thor, which could be very cool. I'm looking forward to how Marvel will explain the return of Thor with Ragnarok not having happened that long ago. Should be interesting. I hope they dont screw it up.

The line work on the piece was really strong. I was so happy with the pencils that I almost didnt ink it. Then I got bored one night and it was sitting in front of me and I decided what the hell... why not ink it. I still need to add some grays to add a little depth to it, but I was so excited with it in it's current state that I wanted to share.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home