crazy colored glasses

Friday, May 04, 2007

It's Tuesday... I must be drawing



So here I was on another Tuesday night with Scrappy sleeping and MS out at photography class (sadly her last, I think she'll miss it), and my best bud JP had asked me to put a Silver Surfer piece together for him for a poster for a Surf competition where the very talented StuntDitch will be performing. So, I decided that it was a good time to draw this.

Although I was ridiculously tired from not having slept the night before, I was excited about drawing the Surfer. Not only did I get to help JP out, but I got to work on one of the most visually interesting characters ever designed (kudos to the great Jack Kirby). I had only ever done the Silver Surfer a handful of times. Never on a scale this large. I had done some late 80's and early 90's Silver Surfers in the style of Ron Lim. Ron was always a pretty good artist, who really hit his stride and connected with the Surfer. His Surfer in my mind is the quintessential look for the Surfer. I feel like he set the style that is still used today.

With the nature of this piece, and how it will be used I wanted to play up the shading and make a high contrast piece, while also leaving the bottom of the board blank for placement of black text with the venue name and the names of the bands. JP has done some really great designs for StuntDitch shows (plus i suck at freehanding text) so I'll leave the text in his very capable hands.

The pencils took a little less than an hour to do. The heavy work came in the inking and shading of the piece, which took a little over 2.5 hours to ink. In what is a very rare feat, by the time MS got home after a crazy cab ride (sorry my love) the piece was already done. I'm normally quite a slow artist, but this piece came together very quickly. I was extremely happy with the way the piece turned out. Its not a typical Surfer piece, because of the heavy blacks, but it fits the need of this poster perfectly.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home