crazy colored glasses

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Super Family Illustrations pt. 1



As soon as we moved into our place at the end of October, I kept telling MS that I wanted to draw pictures of Superman, Wonder Woman and Supergirl in the style of Michael Turner. The months came and went and nothing happened. Then we got Tiny (our gigantic 50" television) and I was even less inspired because I felt I had lost some of the real estate (although I hadn't). The walls stayed bare for months.

Fast forward to mid-March. MS has signed herself up for photography classes. I think thats amazing. Shes following her dream... something that she is really proficient in and has a great eye for. For the next 6 Tuesdays she will be in class. So I was sitting at home working on stuff for the Green Issue when I decided I need a break. I started digging around some comic art, when I came up on printouts I had made of Superman, Supergirl and Wonder Woman. So being inspired by MS following her photogography dream, I decided to pick up a pencil and started to draw.

As long as I can remember, all I've ever wanted to do was draw Superman for DC Comics. My life took me in a different direction, and I became a designer, design manager, art director, group art director and currently a creative director. Never a comic artist. I've always had a million excuses, I'm too slow, not good enough, can't make enough money... and while all of that is probably true, I've never lost that dream.

I plan on doing lots of drawing over the next few weeks. Now, I'm not saying I'm going to quit my job and try to be a comic artist, but I do think the pieces i've drawn over the past few months have been some of the best pieces of my life, and with that comes a little hope. Maybe, just maybe, I have what it takes to one day draw Superman for DC Comics.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home