crazy colored glasses

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

G.I. Joextravaganza... Part 1: Barbecue



This weekend my superstar photographer fiancee had set up her studio lighting and power packs and wanted to test some of the photography equipment she had bought. In looking for subjects I found some of the things I know best. My toys. It ended being an endless parade of my action figures.

In climbing up closets to pull figures for MS to shoot I found my bag of Joes from the 80's. Then I started reminiscing. I remembered how Footlose and Monkeywrench were the two first Joes I ever got. How every birthday, christmas or special occasion was met with the arrival of more G.I. Joes. It was a passion that everyone in my life supported. Brothers, sisters, my mother even friends. They all helped contribute to my growing army of Joes.

I started pulling out Joes for MS to shoot, lining them all up on the coffee table, when I came up with the idea that I would make a list of my Top 10 G.I.Joes. Anyone who really knows me already knows who the top Joe will be. Thats not really a surprise. I expect some will be surprised by some of these selections, but for my purposes they were my favorites. I will post one pic a week with a brief description of the figure and the reason they are on.



BARBECUE
He was released in 1985, but I didnt get him until 1987. I always loved Joe's that came with lots of accessories. He had a really original body sculpt and came with a axe... how cool was that. As a 10 year old, this figure was killer. It was always one of my favorites. I loved Barbecue on the cartoon and in the comic as well. Plus his filecard talked about how much a family man this guy was and how heavy a partier he was as well. Two things I try to be to this day. What wasnt there to like. The only negative was that he was from Boston... yuck. Great sculpt, great color scheme, accessories, and a well written filecard.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home