crazy colored glasses

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Flash... Peanuthead Thompson where are you?


This weeks Tuesday night drawing came after I had spent the past few weeks wondering what ever happened to my once good friend I had nicknamed Peanuthead. He and I would go to the glorious Midtown Comics every Wednesday and have lunch in one of the assorted fast food joints along 8th avenue as we compared our stashes. It was one of my most looked forward to moments of the week. Him and I remained very close over the years (we had also both become art directors at a young age, so we really bonded over that) up until his magazine was closed down. At his going away party we told each other how important we had been to each other and promised that we weren't gonna lose touch. About a year and a half later... we seemed to have lost touch. I've tried to email him a few times and never gotten anything in return. I really dont know what has happened to him. I've had old co-workers of his come to me and ask me if I knew how he was doing... um, I don't know. Just wanted to take this chance to say I miss him and his friendship.

Anyway, the whole point of that was that Peanuthead's favorite character was the Flash. I've never been a big fan of Flash but he was. We had all grown up with Wally West through his Titan days (and there was probably no better ongoing series in the 80's than the Teen Titans) and then were excited (although we all do miss Barry Allen) when after Crisis, Wally took over as the Flash. Leaving the mantle of Kid Flash for someone else (current Flash Bart Allen). For most people my age, who really dont remember Barry Allen that well, Wally really is the character. So in thinking heavily about Peanuthead I decided to draw his favorite character.

This image is a little different than my other pieces. It doesn't include as many heavy black areas. What it relies more on are strong, stoic faces, and great line work. I also added very subtle pencil tones once I finished inking the piece. They helped add more depth and emotion to the piece. The pencils took me a little over an hour. The inking took me about 2 hours. Then probably another half hour for the additional grays. The piece was a bit challenging because I've mostly been drawing single characters lately. So to have Golden Age (Jay Garrick) , Modern Age (Wally) and Kid Flash (Bart) in one piece was hard. I think it turned out nicely. It's a nice little piece for me to add to my collection.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home