crazy colored glasses

Friday, June 08, 2007

The Greatest Tag Team in WWE(F) History


I remember going with my oldest brother to the very first Summer Slam at Madison Square Garden. We had decent seats, and under my arm I carried two signs I had made. One for the Mega Powers (Hulk Hogan and Macho Man Randy Savage) who were fighting Andre the Giant and Ted DiBiase, and one for my favorite Tag Team of all-time Demolition.

Ax and Smash (and later on Crush) made up Demolition. They were managed by Mister Fuji, and were fighting another great tag team the Hart Foundation. I was a huge fan of their raucous theme song, face paint, and black leather spiked entrance gear (as well as the black studded hockey style mags they wore). In my mind they symbolized badass. I didnt care that most people thought of them as nothing more than a Road Warriors rip off. In my mind they were the best tag team on the planet. At the time of Summer Slam they were on a streak of having held the tag team titles for over a year (still a record). Near the end of their run in the WWE an unhealthy Ax was replaced with Crush. With Crush things just werent the same. Even though Crush was bigger, stronger and more athletic, the team lost a lot of steam and went their separate ways in 91.

When Jakks Pacific started making classic wrestling figures I kept hoping for 3 figures: Macho Man, Ax and Smash. I waited and waited (still waiting on Macho Man) when finally after 12 series they decided to create Demolition figures. I was the happiest person on the planet when these figures finally came out. Then of course I had the most imposible time finding them in store. I would go to Toys R Us almost daily in pursuit of these figures. All of course to no avail. I finally gave in and ordered (overpayed) them online. They arrived around my birthday in December, so it was like my own little gift to myself. I think Ax and Smash are amongst the best Jakks wrestling figures ever made. The face sculpts are excellent. The paint applications are spot on, and I'm even very impressed by the attention to detail of giving Smash a big bald spot and an elbow pad only on his left arm.

The below picture is pretty funny. It's the current Ax and Smash next to their Hasbro counterparts from the late 80's. The little guys almost look like midget versions of the big guys.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home