crazy colored glasses

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Weekend Viewing

So after posting a pretty impressive streak of blogging in early April (almost every day for a little while) I haven't posted in nearly three weeks (life has been busy). That should change this week, as I have some more toy pics to toss up, finally drew some new art (for me), and my general thoughts on the sports/toy/comic book/pop culture world.

The specific reason for todays post though is my weekend theater viewing. I saw two films on complete opposite ends of the spectrum this weekend... and I loved them both. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who saw both Iron-Man and Made of Honor this weekend, let alone someone who enjoyed both thoroughly.

Iron-Man was simply put the best Marvel film since X2. I don't compare Marvel films to DC films as I believe the DC films are in a whole different stratosphere (I hold Batman Begins and Superman Returns in very high esteem). After a series of creative misfires (FF 1 and 2, Elektra, Ghost Rider, X3, Spider-Man 3... blech) they finally got it right. Instead of trying to do too much, Marvel told a very tight film with an exceptional cast. Not since X1 and 2 has a Marvel film been graced with a cast this talented. Robert Downey Jr. was perfect as Tony Stark. Paltrow, Bridges, Howard and Samuel L. Jackson (you must stay past the credits) were all excellent in their respective roles. The action and special effects were great, the acting spot on. All in all a very intelligent take on a great Marvel character. Iron-Man will become the first Marvel DVD I buy since X2, two very enthusiastic thumbs up from me.

As for Made of Honor... yeah, it was kind of a cliche romantic comedy, but Patrick Dempsey's charm really makes the film (did I just actually say that). The plot is basically guy has best friend, she goes away, he realizes he loves her, she comes back with fiance, hijinks ensue. It basically is My Best Friends Wedding with a guy in the Julia Roberts role. Yeah its formulaic and predictable, but its also a ton of fun. I truly enjoyed this film. Michelle Monaghan (who I only remember from MI3) is also very good as the best friend who realizes her true love is her best friend and not the hunky Scot which she barely knows. A fun film, again two thumbs way up from me.

So there you have it. I loved both a super-hero action film as well as a sappy romantic comedy.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • iron man was incredible and I loved every second. And although ghost didn't make a cameo in person, his track did in that flight sequence. Pretty awesome. Robert was simply amazing. I've always been a fan, but I'm a little beyond that now. Excellence.

    By Blogger alec, at 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home