crazy colored glasses

Monday, July 23, 2007

Marvel Arghh....

I kept on reading the rest of my top shelf comics as I try to catch up. Now last week I happily blogged about how good the DC books have been. That for the most part continued as I read a few issues of Detective Comics, The Checkmate/Outsiders Crossover, Catwoman and Robin (very nice Father's Day story). While reading those good DC books I also read a few very good Marvel titles. I read the remainder of Fallen Son, the first issue World War Hulk, the always great Daredevil and Captain America, and the vastly improved Iron Man. This led me to the object of todays complaint. The last two issues of New Avengers.

I must admit to having read a spoiler of the issue online, so I knew Elektra would be revealed to be a Skrull. Which led to all kinds of questions about who we can or cannot trust and who really is a Skrull. All which led me to scratch my head and wonder... didn't Marvel already run this story in the pages of the X-Men. It happened when Wolverine was revealed to be the Horseman Of Apocalypse Death. We learned that a Skrull had been in his place for years on the X-Men. I though the story was BS then, and I think the story is BS now. Are you telling me that Xavier couldn't tell telepathically that one of his pupils was replaced by a Skrull. The same way Wolverine isn't able to tell that Elektra (who he has slept with in the past) or Spider-Woman have been Skrulls right under his nose. Highly unlikely that both Wolverine and Spidey (he of the great spider-sense) both great trackers would be unable to tell they'd been infiltrated by aliens.

The fact that Marvel is trying to blow out this ridiculous story drives me crazy. Are we supposed to forget all of Elektra's appearances over the last few years. Or do we just write them off to being the work of aliens. Marvel has jumped the shark again... I was ready to say how happy I had been with my Marvel reading, then they had to ruin it for me with the last two issues of New Avengers. I expect better of Brian Michael Bendis. He's always been one of Marvels true stars, and to see him recycling old crappy stories is disappointing. Marvel, Marvel, Marvel... it's time to figure it out and be original.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home