crazy colored glasses

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Amazing Tennis!

Anyone who saw any of the finals at Wimbledon was treated to amazing tennis. Nadal/Federer is the greatest match I've ever seen. Although I've was cheering for Federer, there was no mistaking that excellence was on display on both ends of the court. The complexity of each of their shots was simply amazing. Every point featured at least one shot where I shaked my head in disbelief. Easily the best macth I've ever seen if not the best match of all time.

I do have to take this time and completely disagree with most of the media though. I do not think Federer is done and washed up at the age of 26. I do not think he will be like McEnroe and Borg who never again attained the level of success they reached before their 26th birthday. Federer just happend to be playing an extremely hot player. If Nadal goes on to win at the U.S. Open (a tournament he has historically been awful in) over Federer I will be ready to say there is a changing of the guard. Till then I still marvel at the brilliance that is Roger Federer.

Not to be outdone was the Venus vs. Serena Women's Final. This match featured two of the greatest female champions of all-time. These two girls stack up very favorably with the alltime greats. This match did not disappoint. Venus shows up at Wimbledon every year (this being her 5th title). To me, Serena was a little more surprising. She admittedly wasn't in great shape, but it didn't matter. A 70% Serena seemed to be more than enough for an overmatched field. More than enough for everyone that is except her older sister. Venus cemented herself as one of the all-time Wimbledon greats. Then shortly after beating her sister (can any of us truly understand the emotional toll that takes on these two) they turned and easily won the doubles title... simply incredible.

If that's not enough tennis, recently the inhabitants 1470 have been playing lots of Hot Shots Tennis. For those of you not familiar with the Hot Shots series of games they are awesome. Very cartoony, very easy to play. All of which means the 7 year old in the house enjoys it as the adults. If only I could get that game to load more often... then I could unlock the remaining competitors... soon, very soon, they will all be mine.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home