crazy colored glasses

Monday, June 30, 2008

Michael Turner R.I.P.

I just learned that one of my favorite artists, Michael Turner, unexpectedly passed away this past weekend. Michael was a huge influence on me. My art style owes a lot to him. In fact most of the art pieces on this blog are recreations of his pieces. He had a bold, very in your face graphic style. Heavy on the musculature for the men and very loose, thin and beautiful for the women. I am completely shocked and saddened by his sudden death. I will miss his work greatly.

I remember meeting him once for a signing at Midtown Comics. This was shortly after he formed Aspen Comics. He had a whole tour scheduled and my store Midtown Comics was the first stop. After meeting him and thinking he was the most down to earth comic creator I had ever met I wished him tremendous success. Aspen Comics would go on to successfully launch Fathom as well as a line of other comics. Shortly after the start of the tour and launch of his company he fell ill for the first time. He would battle his cancer on and off over the next 6 years before finally succumbing. Again all I can say is I am shocked. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home