crazy colored glasses

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Post-Season Predictions

In my pre-season baseball blog my predictions ranged from the absurd (Seattle Mariners, Clayton Kershaw... what was I thinking) to the safe (Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs making the playoffs). With that said my pre-season World Series pick is still possible. I picked the Red Sox over the Cubs.

Now, although I'll stick with those two teams making the series, I'm flipping my pick. I think the Cubs are the most complete team in baseball. They have a great pitching staff that lines up well for the playoffs. Their offense is strong top to bottom. Their bullpen is the best in the majors.

I think their overall pitching gives them the edge over the Sox. The Sox bullpen, besides Papelbon, has really struggled. Without a healthy Josh Beckett the rotation looks average. And I'm still not sold on Jason Bay replacing Manny's dangerous bat. I mean seriously, if you're an opposing team, does Jason Bay coming to bat with the game on the line instill as much fear as the proven Manny Ramirez. I think not. I still think the Sox have enough to make it to the Series (the Angels for as good as they are simpy don't match up well, I love the Rays but think they're inexperience will hurt them) but I think the Cubs are a team of destiny. Plus they're managed by former Yank Sweet Lou and are my wife's favorite team. Gotta cheer for the ladies squad since my own has been bounced.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I have the same pic, although your preseason one is more attractive to me.

    I think Boston may miss Manny in the playoffs. I still contend he did way more for Papi than vice versa.

    By Blogger Lester's Legends, at 9:40 AM  

  • interesting thought. i think many would disagree, but i think you are right.

    manny has a history of making it easier on the batters around him. great offense in cleveland and just look at his impact on the dodgers. the difference in their offense is like night and day since he arrived.

    By Blogger LEV, at 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home