crazy colored glasses

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Goodbye

I was supposed to have more time. It came too early. I was supposed to have at least another month. There was supposed to b ea prolonged post-season run followed by a 27th championship banner. Alas... it wasn't meant to be. So even though it's hard, and seems way too early, I must say goodbye.

But how do you say goodbye to a place that holds so many memories. A place that has been a constant in my life for more than 20 years. I can't really. It will always be a place of so many memories. Here are a few memories that stand out...

June 1, 1985. Seattle Mariners against the New York Yankees.
This was the first ever baseball game I ever went to. I was 8 years old and my oldest brother fought with my over-protective Mom for weeks to be able to take me to the game. She finally allowed me to go and my love for the Yankees grew. I remember riding the 4 train and as it rose out of the darkness of the subway tunnel into the Bronx sky you could see a hint of the greenest grass I've ever see. I was finally there. Yankees Stadium. Home to my baseball hero, Don Mattingy, and the field where so many stories I had heard originated. I sat in my upper deck seats in amazement over how far these players could throw the ball. I oohed and aahed at every pop up thinking it was a homerun. Watching in awe through my binoculars as that days starter Ron Guidry was shagging fly balls during batting practice. Don Mattingly went 2 for 4 with 3 RBI's. Rickey Henderson had a few hits and a few RBI's as he looked like the fastest thing I ha ever seen. The Yankees won 8-2 and further cemented this day as one I would always remember.

Reggie Jackson Day
When Reggie Jackson was elected to the Hall of Fame fans in multiple cities waited with baited breath to find out which hat he would be enshrined in. To all of New York's happiness, it was as a Yankee. With that decided the Yankees decided to retire Reggie Jackson's number 44. As long as I could remember my oldest brother has always been the biggest Reggie fan. He wore number 44 for every team I ever saw him play for. To put it lightly it was an important day for my oldest brother. When the tickets went on sale, my brother brought 3. One for him and I, and 1 for my Dad. My Dad was a die-hard Mets fan, but he loved baseball, and always loved the way Reggie played. To our amazement Dad said yes he would go. And even though we really did expect him to cancel and not go as the days drew nearer something happened. He was excited to go. I had been to Mets games at Shea with my Dad, but never to a Yankee game, so I was clearly excited as well.

We tried not to get there to early as we knew how impatient Dad was. We had great seats in the very underrated second deck of the stadium along the third base line. I can still clearly recall looking over at my Dad and brother, as they sat there stoically but emotionally watching the video montage of Reggie highlights set to the song "Like A Rock" from those old Chevy commercials. During the 7th Inning stretch it was announced that Reggie Bars would be sold for a limited time only, so I ran around to find a vendor to buy Reggie Bars for the two most influential men in my life. Mattingly again had 2 RBI's in leading the team to a 4-2 victory over the Baltimore Orioles.

Sadly this would be the last live game I ever saw with my Dad. He would be gone 6 months later from cancer. Something tells me he knew something was going on with his body and he had very little time left. He never, ever came out, yet that summer he made an effort to go see not only this game, but a game at Shea. I think he knew, and he wanted to share one of his passions with his boys. All i can say is that I'm grateful that I was able to share this game that clearly meant so much with my Dad and brother. For as long as I live, I will never forget this game.

Don Mattingly Day
My baseball hero has always been Don Mattingly. I loved the way he played the game. I loved that he was homegrown. To me, he embodied everything that was right about the Yankees. He always wore his pinstripes with pride. And even though I'm sure others disagree, I think he belongs in the Hall of Fame (would this even be a discussion had he won a World Series title... I don't think so. His stats are nearly identical to Kirby Puckett, yet he is deemed unworthy... drives me crazy). With all that said, this game took place on August 31, 1997. The Yankees were playing the Expos and retiring the number of Donnie Baseball. Never have I wanted to be at a game more than this one. For added enjoyment, both of my brothers were there as well as some of the closest friends from my neighborhood. The Vega boys have rarely if ever all ventured out together. It happens even less now that we are all adults with families. So this game was extra special. I don't think we've all been back together for a game ever since. All of which makes this game even more special to me. I saw my baseball hero receive great accolades while having his number retired in the company of my two brothers, all while the Yankees won behind a spectacular pitching effort by Andy Pettitte.

4/26/2005 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim versus the New York Yankees
There are not to many people that would recognize this game. Fewer still would be able to tell you that this was the game where ARod hit 3 home runs and drove in 10 runs. None of this is the reason this was memorable. For that, I have to rewind a little.

Earlier in the week my buddy and I had bought tickets to the Mets game. I'm not a Mets fan, but I was going out a ton in those days. The day of the 26th I learn a group of co-workers had gotten free tickets to the Yankees game. I quickly realized that one of the guys going was a diehard Mets fan. Why not switch up tickets with him. I'd get to watch my Yanks, and he'd get to watch his Mets. He agreed, so tickets were exchanged. Later on that day my other buddy who had the other 3 tickets shows up and tells me he has an extra. My one recommendation to him was "you should find a girl to go with us, I don't want to sit next to you all night". Lucky me he found the one girl I wanted him to find. As I walked into his office to meet him to head out to the game we each looked at each other and smiled as we realized that we would be at the game together.

Back to the game... it was very exciting. We talked fantasy baseball, we had a lot of beer, we cheered as ARod destroyed Bartolo Colon. As the game ended this lady and I still had beer. We had to be seen out of the stadium. Wanting to spend more time together we went across the street to Stan's. We drank for so long that we were there till they closed down as well. As we walked on to the train, I told her that I would ride the train with her to make sure she got home safe. As we got off the train in Astoria we found a bar that was still open. We sat down, had a few more and basically just talked to each other till the wee hours of the morning. I remember getting in a cab at 4am and thinking that it was easily one of the best nights in my life. Needless to say I was crazy about her. So much so that I married her (I'm sitting in front of the TV watching football and typing this out as she waits for use of the laptop... thank you baby). So not only was there a great Yankee victory, but I spent lots of time with the woman who would become my wife... the love of my wife.

I could go on and on naming game after game. Incredibly I've only ever been to one playoff game (against the Indians in 1997), and only one opening day. What I can say is what I've always said. Yankee Stadium is the Mecca of Baseball. It is the greatest sporting venue ever. If you are a sports fan, you were better for having seen a game there. So even though I'm excited for the new Stadium next year, I must say goodbye to the original Yankee Stadium... I'll miss you.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Even this Sox fan counts his visit to Yankee Stadium as one of the best baseball experiences. It's sad to see it go.

    Thanks for taking us down memory lane.

    By Blogger Lester's Legends, at 6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home