crazy colored glasses

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Pull List: 5/4/11

It was a pretty small week for me (only 7 books) which meant I got to buy and read the next chapter of The Walking Dead (Volume 10) which was amazing. Can't wait to plow through the rest of that series. Anyway, unto the reviews.

1. Superboy #7 - This issue continues the good run by Jeff Lemire. It also references Alan Moore's Superman classic "For the Man Who Has Everything" in that Connor hallucinates after being affected by alien plat life. In the hallucination, Connor's great fears of a world devasted by him come to fruition. All which beg the question" is this really where Connor is headed. While the writing was again excellent, the art suffers as it goes back and forth between real world and hallucination. A little more balance between the two styles would have helped. BTW, I totally loved the Red Robin and Titans cameos.

2. X-Men Prelude to Schism #1 - I loved this Paul Jenkins written book. Great forewarning of what's ahead for the mutants. Roberto De la Torre's art was amazing. Easily the best art on any book this week. He out-Maleev's Alex Maleev (I'll explain later). I was definitely skeptical over Schism (I mean c'mon, another X event... these are becoming twice yearly events), but loved this issue so much I can't wait for the event to start. I must say though, IF MARVEL KILLS CYCLOPS I WILL NO LONGER BUY A MUTANT TITLE. Sorry I had to scream, but I had to get that off my chest.

3. Moon Knight #1 - Sharply written first issue. I've never been a big Moon Knight fan, but I love Bendis and Maleev together. This issue's story doesn't disappoint. Nice twist at the end where we see that Marc Spector really is batshit crazy and has made up his interaction with the Avengers throughout the issue. Great plot twist. The on disappointing aspect of the issue was the art. Maleev pencils are usually perfect. This was less than so. The work looked rushed, the line work sloppy. De La Torre's pencils on Schism were much more like classic Maleev. I mean look at how strong Maleev's work is on Scarlet (go ahead, i'll wait) and then come back to this first issue of Moon Knight. It's like a completely different artist. In my eyes it was reminiscent of Bill Seinkewicz, not typical Maleev work. I'm hoping it was a one issue blip and the work goes back to its typical excellence.

4. Fear Itself #2 - I loved everything about the first issue. Story and art were spot on. This issue was severely lacking though. Immonen's pencils were up to his usual standard or excellence. The story though fell far short. The whole issue could have been told in 4 pages. Each of "The Worthy" could have gotten their hammers and we move on. To drag it out over a whole issue felt like a lot of filler. I'd much rather spend more time on Asgard with Thor and the worrying (and completely out of character) Odin. I'm hoping for a better issue 3.

5. Avengers Academy #13 - While the superhero prom was a little slower than the Academy has been lately, I still thought it was a good issue full of a lot of smaller tender moments. Each of these kids and most of their instructors have issues to deal with, mostly emotional issues. This issue slows the action down and lets each of the characters deal with them. Sean Chen's pencils were passable, but I missed the typical strong work of Mike McKone.

6. iZombie #13 - This issue was also a little slower than a typical iZombie story. It was the start of a new arc, so hopefully it's building. Allred's art continues to impress. I love his simple style. Gwen has become one of my favorite characters in comics today.

7. Adventure Comics #526 - This book hasn't helped itself escape from the endangered list. It's simply not picking up any steam. I wish I had more Night Girl in this story and less of the Academy members.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home