crazy colored glasses

Monday, April 25, 2011

Punisher & Batman

It's been forever since I posted some art. In fact this piece is so old, it's a piece I created for my brother for Christmas.

I wanted to try a new process for this piece. I was going to forego the pencils, and draw straight with inks. If there ever were two characters were this could work, gritty urban vigilantes like the Punisher and Batman would be perfect subjects.


I wanted to create them in the style of Gary Frank. While his pencil work is intricate and fluid, I wanted to try and capture his style while forgoing pencils entirely. I originally also wanted to add in a brick wall behind the two of them, but ran out of time and had to frame it without the brick wall. After the illustration was done, I went in and added some extra grays for some shading and depth.

While the face work on the Punisher was a little rough (I still thought it worked, because Franks face should be a bit weathered), I loved the detailing on Batman's costume. At the end of the day it was a piece I was happy with. Plus, I feel more comfortable drawing with straight inks as opposed to having to pencil everything first. When I'm a famous comic artist, and doing the convention circuit, this marker art will come in handy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home