crazy colored glasses

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Pull List: 4/13

I've decided I'm going to try and review the comics I buy on a weekly basis. I'll give you my Top 5 (Top of the Stack) with a longer review, and then quickly recap the rest of the week's issues. Here we go.

Top of the Stack
1. Punisher Max #12 - Easily one of the best books Marvel Max puts out. Jason Aaron's dialogue is pitch perfect and beautifully meshes with the understated art of Steve Dillon. I wish this book came out on a more regular basis. This particular issue is told through the eyes of the prisoners incarcerated with Frank while he recovers from his battle with Bullseye. Some nice flashbacks draw more insight to the history of this conflicted vigilante.

2. Superman #710 - While I haven't always loved the JMS/Chris Roberson "Grounded" storyline (would Superman find himself and just punch someone already), this issue was right on. A great tale of the first meeting between a young Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent where they square off against Vandal Savage. The art by Eddy Barrows (present) and J.P. Mayer (past) fits nicely as well. A very nice read, with some great dialogue in the desert between Bruce and Clark. A must read for fans of both characters.

3. Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #157 - Reuniting Brian Michael Bendis with Mark Bagley has seemed to reinvigorate both creators. This issue is just about perfect. Great fight between The Green Goblin and Dr. Octopus which end in the death of Doc. Spidey at the same time is on his way to deal with the big battle between the Ultimates and the Avengers. This book has all of the things that make Ultimate Spidey so amazing. Big battles, big consequences, and also small touching moments. Peter saying goodbye to Gwen and May, his phone call to Mary Jane (will Marvel proper take notice and realize how great the two of them are together). The ending was great, with Peter diving into a bullets path and saving the life of Steve Rogers. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

4. Black Panther #517 - I must admit I was on the fence with this title when it was announced the Panther would take Hell's Kitchen over for Daredevil. I loved the runs of Bendis and Brubaker so much that DD had made it to the top of the stack. The Panther though was a character I never really cared for. David Liss has crafted a dark and beautiful modern noir where there are no clear good or bad guys, just various shades of gray. These shades are incredibly rendered by Francesco Francavilla. His pencils are amazing and give a weight to the words Liss writes. Vlad the Romanian has turned into a great modern kingpin as well. One of the best and most consistent books on the market right now.

5. Birds of Prey #11 - This was a book that was on the endangered list. I didn't like the relaunch. Then the "Death of Oracle" story took place and I was hooked again. I'm glad I stuck around. This issue featured great stand alone story of the blossoming relationship between Catman and Huntress. The book takes great twist and turns until its revealed that the hostage situation they've been trying to solve the whole issue was set up by Catman himself. We think he's a cock, when we later find out he's not a cock at all, he was just trying to push Huntress away because he felt he wasn't good enough for her. He wasn't. Great single issue.

Rest of the Pull
6. Superboy #6 - The same way the Superman issue had great dialogue between Bruce and Clark, There is a similar scene between Conner and Tim. A big battle with Doomsday breaks out. Another good issue by Lemire.

7. X-Men Legacy #247 - The Age of X continues and I like it. While I've though (and still think) Legion is behind it all, I'm enjoying this story immensely. I love the redesigns and every reveal that has come. Can't wait for the resolution of the series.

8. Flash #10 - This Flashpoint prelude had some nice Barry, Barry and Bart moments. Yes, I said Barry twice, as an alternate-Earth Barry emerged to warn our Earth's Barry. In the hands of most writers this would be confusing, but with Geoff Johns, it works. Plus Francis J. Manapul continues to produce one of the best looking books on the stands today.

9. Batman and Robin #22 - The last chapter of the Tomasi and Gleason storyline. The action all seemed rushed, but I loved the way it looked. Damian Wayne continues to be one of my favorite characters. I would love for Tomasi and Gleason to have more time with this title.

10. Uncanny X-Men #535 - I wasn't sure how I felt about Kieron Gillen jumping back to Breakworld (um... that belong to Joss Whedon), but I though this was a strong issue. A nice first chapter to what I think can be a strong arc. Plus Terry Dodson is amazing. Can Kitty and Peter please be together for real.

11. Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. Ultimates #3 - This issue tied directly into Ultimate Spider-Man. Completely action-packed, with very little story, until the final moments which are also played out in the USM title. Yu's work impresses again.

12. G.I. Joe Cobra Civil War #0 - I thought it was a good issue, but it seems like nothin more than a teaser to get you to buy 3 other IDW Joe mini-series. Not a lot happened in these pages besides teasing.

13. New Avengers #11 - Not a great issue, as Mockingbird lies on deaths door (didn't she just come back from the dead?) and the team feels betrayed by Victoria Hand. I'd rank it lower but I like the seeds of doubt being planted in the readers mind as Hand confides in Steve Rogers. Could be an interesting development.

14. Batgirl #20 - This has been a consistently good read, that I'm hoping simply had an off-issue. Plus where the hell is Dustin Nguyen. He was supposed to be the regular artist but has only done covers of late. WTF. Simply not a lot went on.

15. Amazing Spider-Man #658 - I'd rank this higher, but I was annoyed by the opening few pages where Spider swings over to the Baxter Building in a new FF costume of his creation only to get his new Future Foundation togs. The only problem with that, is that it already happened differently in FF# 1. Way to be consistent Marvel. The issue itself was fine, but I was annoyed by that opening.

16. Red Robin #22 - I hate Azrael. I hate all the religious overtones in Red Robin. I can't wait for this storyline to be over and go back to typical Red Robin stories... please. Freddie Williams guest pencils looked great on this putrid story.

17. Adventure Comcs #525 - I don't care enough about the new Legion Academy members to care about what they're doing. I'm hoping this storyline gets better (or is abandoned completely) soon. Shouldn't Phil Jimenez be pencilling mjor characters as opposed to these kids. Just a thought.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home