crazy colored glasses

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Soulfire


I can't believe it's been almost 6 months since my last piece of art on this site. I do promise you that I have been very busy. I drew about 10 new characters (should have been closer to 20, but I've been very lazy) as well as drew multiple characters in a cartoony style.

The latter became my favorite summer time train ride distraction. It started out as a keep Scrappy busy on the train project. She would throw out a character and then we would try and draw kid versions of said character. With that said here is my latest piece of comic art... Soulfire.

As most readers of this site know, I was a huge Michael Turner fan. My pencilling style and linework are hugely influenced by his work. Early this past summer I was greatly saddened by his passing. He was only 37. Far too young to be taken from us.

Michael burst onto the scene drawing Witchblade for Top Cow. He became an overnight sensation. His star only continued to rise when Top Cow launched the Tomb Raider comic featuring his art. The crossover appeal of that book allowed him to approach Top Cow head Marc Silvestri and pitch him on an idea that was floating around in his head since high school. That idea turned out to be the incredibly successful Fathom. With the success of Fathom, Turner was then able to open up his own comic company, Aspen Comics. Aspen had great initial success but was slowed when Michael first took ill with cancer.

After beating cancer, Michael came back full force. He launched Soulfire which became a smash hit and announced plans to produce Ekos with Geoff Johns. Then he worked on the return of Supergirl in the pages of Superman/Batman. On top of that he was turning out some of the best covers in the industry, first for DC (Identity Crisis, Flash, Justice League) and then exclusively for Marvel. ESo although his cancer eventually returned, he didn't let it beat him. He continued to work and churn out some of the best pencils of his career. He truly is an inspiration. I know everytime I pick up a pencil I'm inspired by his work and the memory of him.

The pencils on this piece took a little over an hour (I ended up missing most of the debate) the inks took close to another hour. I then went back in and added extra pencil shading for depth and detail. Most of all it was nice to be back drawing... especially drawing a Michael Turner character.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home