crazy colored glasses

Thursday, December 03, 2009

Iron Art (Kirby)


I'm a huge comic book fan. In fact for most of my life when asked what I wanted to do, I'd reply "I want to be a comic book artist". If you asked me the same question today, I'd say the same thing. Although I'm way to slow to ever truly be a comic artist, it still is a dream of mine.

One of the reasons its a dream of mine is the early Marvel work of Jack 'King" Kirby. He is simply put the godfather of all comic artists. He changed the game with his composition and dynamic poses. Characters jumped off the page and interacted with readers. You would generally see the characters hips cocked toward the reader in a dramatic stance. He also introduced U.S. audiences to speed lines as well as created the oft-copied Kirby bubbles.

When I found this Kirby piece of Iron Man, I instantly knew I wanted to recreate it. Iron Man was not a character commonly associated with Kirby so I was automatically intrigued. Then my co-worked and I spoke about doing a collaboration where he would drop a background and mural on a wall behind Iron Man.

The pencils took me a little over an hour. Inks were about the same. It's a piece I was thrilled with. So thrilled that I put together another Iron Man piece right after it... i'll post a more modern take on the man of iron tomorrow...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home