crazy colored glasses

Friday, April 24, 2009

Watchmen

Okay, so I saw the Watchmen movie a few weeks back and absolutely loved. It was quite possibly (IMHO) the most faithful comic adaptation of all time. There was a huge change to the ending of the original story which I actually though worked better than the original ending. It made for a tighter story on screen. The essence of the story remained the same while providing many of the iconic visuals from the stunning artwork of Dave Gibbons.

Dave Gibbons has basically been the only artist who ever even attempted drawing the Watchmen. The Watchmen is one of those books that is absolutely revered by the comic community. You would be hard pressed to find a bad review of the original book-especially from the comic fans.

When the buzz for this film started to build (around the time the first trailer hit with the Dark Knight last summer) the brilliant artists at Wildstorm drew a thumbnail that they would later turn into a jam piece. I decided that this would be a great opportunity to take a crack at characters I've loved for a long time as well. In addition, this turned into a jam piece of my own.

Any one who truly knows my art style, knows I dont draw hands or guns very well (or cars for that matter). With a large gun and a few sets of hands featured very prominently, my lovely wife decided to pitch in and not only draw hands and the guns of the Comedian, but she also did an amazing job on drawing and inking Archie (Nite Owl's ship).



This piece was a definite change from what I've been doing lately. I've been focusing more on single character pieces. Drawing this large of a cast was a definite challenge. Basically drawing 7 characters (if you count Archie) was a definite daunting task. Not only is this a piece I loved working on, but a piece that I will always hold very high regard for as it was a jam piece between my wife and I (thats her signature under my initial box)... thanks my love.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home